Thursday, July 12, 2012

Story about being a dad

Sorry I haven't been posting, I will remedy that soon.  Here is some filler I wrote tonight while you wait for the regular blog to resume (You can also find it on G+)


Want a story about me?  Shut up, I am telling it anyway.

When I was 17 I owned a tan '89 Ford Ranger.  Some of you may remember it, I loved it.

I worked at Target and spent my money on the truck.  I paid my own insurance and bought my gas.  No help what-so-ever from my parents went into that vehicle.

My parents did however pay for my everything else.  Food, clothing, schooling (public school is not as free as you think), not to mention that I lived in their house.

Why the hell am I bringing this up?  Shut up, I'm typing and I will get to it.

I was not a great teenager, I would leave the house and be gone all night.  Ok, I was a normal teenager with his own car.

My parents hated this, I was always in trouble from being gone too long or late.  One day I awoke to find that my keys were missing.  I had planned on going to a friend's house and possibly to the beach but my truck and house keys were nowhere to be found.

After some detective work and a call to my mom, she told me to call my dad.  He told me the following

"Until you can obey the rules and come home when we tell you to, I have your truck!"

I didn't take too kindly to this.  My dad is an amazing man, my friends may remember that he seemed very strict, and was to a point, but he was fair.  I was a shit and deserved all the strictness I got, but...

Remember that I said he was fair?  I called AAA and they came out and made a new set of keys for my truck.  Cost me $150.

When my parents got home, I was not there.  I rolled in around 10 and my dad was awake in chair, pissed.

He didn't have to say anything, and honestly I don't remember what he did say, but I countered with

"Dad, you guys buy me everything that is my room, and furnish that room.  You can kick me out, you can take everything in their away from me, but that truck is mine.  I paid for it, I pay the insurance and the gas.  If you want me to get home at a decent hour, then we need to discuss what that is, but you are not getting my truck keys again!"

I was shaking, literally terrified that my life was about to end.  My dad looked madder than a bobcat caught in a piss fire.

He calmly said to me
"You're right, I want your tv and the phone from your room, your grounded until i say otherwise.  Now what do you think is a decent time?"

My curfew from then was 10pm on school nights and 1 on weekends.  I gave my dad my phone and in the morning he told me to keep the tv and that he loved me.

He even mentioned that he was proud that I stood my ground, but it was dumb to spend the money on triple A.  I love my father very much, and even though it may sound that I was terrified of him, it wasn't like that.  I knew I was a shit, still am, but I also know that he loves me and I hope to be that kind of father to my son, setting rules and limits and being firm on them, but loving and caring enough to listen when I may be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment