Tuesday, June 5, 2012

"Goulash" or "She was so good she never missed a stitch"

Welcome back!


Today's dinner was another quick and easy one, but I did try to make something I knew my son would enjoy more.

Today I made Goulash!  My mom used to make a version of this, and I DID NOT get her recipe down.  Lesson learned, next time call mom.  Actually, I should call my mom more often anyway.

Great now I am going to write this post while thinking about calling my mom.  Let's get to it then so I can catch her before her bed time.

Ingredients and Instructions - 


I started with 1lb of ground beef, browned.  I cooked the pasta from a box of Mac and Cheese and then added the two together in a skillet.  Next I added a can of Tomato Sauce, a can of water, 3/4 of a can of corn and then seasoned to taste.  Add shredded cheese on top and heat a can of veggies on the side.  Easy, very easy!



You would think that since this dinner doesn't take long and is super easy to make that I could get it done before Logan starting having, what I now refer to as his "Snack Attack"
Well, you would be wrong, he had to have 2 Cereal Bars (Actually Fig Newtons, he just doesn't know I'm cheating him) and wanted a popsicle, to which I met him in the middle and offered the Jello you see below.

 Now, because I am smart, I took off his clothes to let hi meat the Jello.  For those of you without kids, remember this trick.  My wife does the laundry, but no sense in making it extra hard and believe me, this kid can make one hell of a mess.


Now on to the scores!

Logan's Liking - 3 

As you can see, he ate more of this dinner than the previous nights, he especially liked the noodles.  I am thinking that since he leaves daycare later than he used to, they eat a small dinner around 4, so when I get him at 5:30 he is not as hungry as he would normally have been.


 Prep Time and Clean Up - 5 Minutes - Super Easy!


The dishes tonight were nothing I couldn't handle in a matter of minutes, I am getting good at cleaning things as I go and this is only day 2!

Reheated Rating - 3.5

Robin did not reheat it, it was still mostly warm when she got home, and she did enjoy it enough to give it this in between rating (which she wouldn't change even though I mentioned that the rating system didn't have decimal points, guess it does now)

Dad's Decision - 3.5 (Can't beat 'em, join 'em)

I enjoyed this dinner, but it was missing a little something, some sort of spice I think, I will have to experiment with this one and try a few different things, let me know some ideas!

While Logan and I ate dinner we watched some NickJr (which is his favorite channel, damn you Dora, damn you!)  I pretty much knew this already, but I do not like Wow Wow Wubbzy.  If I was high, maybe, but since I am not this show is terrible!  No educational value, it's not funny or clever.  The only thing it has going for it is that it is colorful which makes Logan watch it, but I would rather put Dora on from the DVR instead of let him watch this.

Tomorrow, I am going to get Logan outside on the trampoline and sand box while I cook on the grill, that should make for a much more interesting meal and blog.  Weather permitting we may even eat outside!)

Before we go, I want to explain the title.  I always liked plays with 2 titles and (music starts) "When I was a Young Warthog!!..  Eh Hem, excuse me.  When I was in intermediate school I was in a play where I played to villain who was out to get the pretty seamstress to marry him in any nefarious way that he could.

I don't remember the first title of that but the second was "She Was So Good, She Never Missed A Stitch." Somehow this has stuck with me for over 20 years and if I ever find pictures or video from it, I will probably post it.  Not much can embarrass me anymore.

Hey that's another reason to call my mom, she may have those pictures!  See you next time faithful readers!

2 comments:

  1. try to add garlic pepper to the meat while it cooks Mr. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok I tried to comment on the first dinner and again yesterday but it never went through so i shall try try again. 1. next time u make goulash try adding a can of stewed tomatoes either with or without jalapenos according to taste. B. I love the blog! It's an adorable idea. I look forward to the next one. I may not comment every time but know that I am reading!

    ReplyDelete